Next Engage: Stay Tuned… We’ll schedule this when the governor’s stay-at-home order is lifted.
Membership is simply about taking another step toward being fully engaged in this community of faith, claiming your commitment to this place, taking a next step in your journey of faith, and responding to your invitation from God to help us be who God calls us to be!
Free childcare for children up to age 11 is provided by paid, trained staff who have passed a background check.
We’ll take your photo (just a head shot) to use in media pieces to help the rest of the congregation know and welcome you (Sunday slides, worship folder insert). You can also send us a photo of yourself that you like, if you’d rather we use that.
There will be a number of people present who are already members or active constituents in the congregation to support and mentor new members, so if you decide not to join that day, you won’t be the only one. Whatever works for you works for us. There is zero pressure to join, just an opportunity to do so if it’s the next right step for you.
If you do plan to join that evening, feel free to invite your family or other significant people in your life! They’re welcome to come for the whole time, or they can just come for the last half hour or so, when you’ll actually join and to celebrate Holy Communion with us.
Content for the evening will be led by pastors and staff, and it will include:
- The membership covenant. Because spiritual practices help us connect with God, open our hearts to God, and grow in our faith, we invite all members to commit to seeking God and growing toward the regular practice of these spiritual habits:
- pray daily / worship weekly
- be in a small group / continue your Christian formation
- serve within the walls of the church
- serve beyond the walls of the church
- give proportionately of your income, working toward a tithe (10%).
- Sharing in small groups: What has led you to this place in your spiritual journey? And what’s your next step of faith?
- Unpacking and discussion of the questions that new members are asked when joining a United Methodist congregation (click bolded type for link to PDF, if you want to see the questions ahead of time).
- Remembrance of your baptism.
- Celebration of Holy Communion.
SIGN UP here
or contact Beth Palmer, staff (614.876.2403, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Or contact Beth Palmer, Director of Adult Discipleship (email@example.com)
discover hilliard umc
Looking for an informal gathering for conversation and connection, to meet our pastors and some other newer folks and learn about the DNA of HUMC, before considering membership? Click HERE for the details and schedule.