Make Friends, Connect at Church, Grow in your Faith…
Free childcare is almost always provided for groups that meet at church (see bottom of page for details).
Staff contact: Beth Palmer, Director of Adult Discipleship (firstname.lastname@example.org, 614.876.2403 [church office]).
race talks with sharon
On Wednesday, July 1, our band leader Sharon Udoh will be leading Race Talks with Sharon – an ongoing discussion that will last for a few weeks. This learning opportunity will be a chance to share, listen, and ask questions.
Spots are limited to 10, so sign up soon. This class is FULL.
- Wednesday evenings starting July 1, 7pm
- Class meets online via Zoom. You’ll receive instructions and a link to join the class from staff.
- Facilitator: Sharon Udoh, HUMC Band Leader.
prayer & meditation for anxious times, online via zoom
From Pastor April: Without a doubt, my prayer and meditation practices have been sustaining me during this season. Not only to provide solace for my weary heart, but to keep me grounded in love and OPEN to what I truly need to hear and listen to in this season. When I began practicing the meditation we teach in this class on a daily basis more than three years ago, I found it to be transformational on every level in my life. It has literally rewired my brain for the better.
Feedback from the last three classes we’ve taught indicated that this was immediately applicable and accessible for folks, and everyone who finished the class had established a regular practice that they found meaningful in their lives.
- 8 Thursday evenings starting June 18, 7:30-8:30pm.
- Class meets online via Zoom. You’ll receive instructions and a link to join the class from the instructors.
- Facilitators: Pastor April Blaine (email@example.com) and Ginny Fisher.
- SIGN UP HERE, or contact Beth Palmer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Reconciling Ministry Discernment Team: “torn” book discussion, online via google doc and zoom
Join our Reconciling Ministry Discernment Team for an online Google doc discussion and an evening of live discussion on Justin Lee’s book, Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays vs. Christians Debate.
In his book, Lee shares the events — his coming out to his parents, his experiences with the “ex-gay” movement, and his in-depth study of the Bible — that led him, eventually, to self-acceptance. In addition, Torn provides insightful, practical guidance for all committed Christians who wonder how to relate to gay friends or family members, or who struggle with their own sexuality. Convinced that “in a culture that sees gays and Christians as enemies, gay Christians are in a unique position to bring peace,” Lee demonstrates that people of faith on both sides of the debate can respect, learn from, and love one another.
- Online Google doc component: Check out the Questions to Consider for each chapter on our class Google document, HERE. Post your own reflections and questions right on the Google doc throughout the month of June as you’re reading.
- Zoom live discussion component: Join us on Zoom for live discussion of the whole book, Monday, June 29, 6pm. All are welcome to join the Zoom discussion even if you haven’t read the book. Zoom meeting ID = 886 0985 4252.
- Facilitator: Jane Dewire.
- Cost: Get your own copy of the book (paper or e-book) here: Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays vs. Christians Debate.
stay tuned for our next class: Knowing Yourself (Enneagram intro)
Take a journey of self-discovery and exploration of your true self in Christ, using the Enneagram. What unconscious habits of thinking, feeling, and doing might be getting in the way of your personal and spiritual growth? Becoming aware of those inner motivations and messages can set us free to be who God created us to be. Reading and self-reflection homework between sessions.
- Stay tuned for details on our next class.
- Sanctuary building, room 306/308 (upstairs, education wing). Childcare provided.
- Facilitators: Beth Palmer, Julie Johnson, & Aimee Lotz.
- Cost: $20, for those able (includes a copy of Ian Cron & Suzanne Stabile, The Road Back to You, available at class).
Ongoing Groups: Newcomers Always Welcome
Ongoing Adult Sunday school classes are on THIS page…
Other Ongoing Groups for Adults are on THIS page…
Childcare (free) for children up to age 11 is usually available for all classes as a gift to you from the church. Take your child(ren) to the Sanctuary building nursery on the main floor or the Warehouse 839 nursery, behind the stage, where they will be met with a smile by trained, paid staff who have completed all the requirements outlined in our Safe Sanctuaries Policy (including a background check).
We don’t want the cost of books or class materials to get in the way of you taking a class, so sign up whether you have book money or not. It’s on us, happily! If you’d like to contribute a few extra dollars toward a book or class materials for someone who doesn’t have book money this time, that’d be great, thank you! Class facilitators will collect book money at class. (There are one or two exceptions to this, such as Financial Peace University.)