Our goal in adult discipleship is to help you connect with God. It’s as simple as that.
We offer classes and groups for everyone from beginners and re-starters to longtime Christians.
the spiritual journey
The spiritual journey is a deeply personal one. We all experience God in different ways, and we all grow at a different pace and in different ways; what helps one person grow closer to God and follow Jesus more closely might have no significant impact on another person. Follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit in your heart.
The spiritual journey isn’t usually a linear process, either, with one step leading directly to the next. In fact, we see the spiritual journey as looking more like a spiral “love vortex“: As we experience God’s radical welcome, meaningful connections with other people of faith, personal and communal spiritual practices, and knowing and encountering God in our ordinary lives… as we let God into our hearts, we are drawn deeper and deeper into the heart of God.
In fact, sometimes it may feel like we’re not doing any of the work, as we get drawn in… We just need to try to be open… to surrender… to let go… as we are caught and held in the loving embrace of God.
When we surrender and accept the beauty of God’s amazing love in our lives, there’s nothing we have to do to receive or earn God’s unconditional love. Our doing in the spiritual life — prayer, worship, acts of service, generosity, Bible study, personal development, etc. — grows out of our openness to God and our willingness to surrender and be transformed by God as we experience God’s no-matter-what love.
The Gospel of John reminds us that God wants us to experience abundant life: “I have come that you might have life, and have it abundantly!” (John 10:10). So, here’s to your abundant life with God!
Spiritual practices help us connect with God and open our hearts up to the work of God in our lives:
- Attend worship regularly…
- Pray regularly; practice daily devotions…
- Study the Bible and other Christian writings, so that we can come to know more about God and know God more…
- Engage in personal conversation with other people of faith about what’s going on in our lives and how we’re seeing God at work in our lives, applying Biblical truth to life and relationships…
- Serve God and others within and beyond the walls of the church, using our God-given spiritual gifts…
- Practice generosity by giving proportionately of our income, working toward a tithe of our income (10%) and beyond.
We encourage you to open yourself to connecting with God by signing up for a class or small group!
What path will you take?
Beth Palmer, Director of Adult Discipleship
614.876.2403 (church office)